The worst floods of the history of Pakistan triggered by torrential rain have claimed about 1,300 lives in Pakistan so far, while over one million people have been affected across the country,
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province has been the worst hit in the floods, with over 500 houses washed away by floodwaters.
· Over 90 highways were damaged and many big thoroughfares in the province have been closed for traffic for four days.
· At least 104 people in the province are still missing.
· According to UN rains and floods affected over one million people in the country.
· Over 300 houses and many link bridges are washed away in Swat and Shangla regions.
· There was similar devastation, triggered by heavy downpour, in Punjab, Balochistan and Gilgit-Baltistan, where 494 people were killed. (NDMA).
· The latest figures suggest that 2.5 million people have been displaced in the flood-hit areas across the country.The NDMA and Army is doing the rescue work in the flood-hit areas,
In AJK Kundal Shahi Jagran Road is completely destroyed.
· 4 Houses near Shangosh are completely destroyed.
· The under construction park is also ruined near Shangosh( Hafizabad). Many bridges on Jagran road have been swept away by the flood including Kuttan Bridge. Now there is no access between Kuttan bazaar & Kuttan colony. Same is the case with Kundal Shahi and FO Neelum.
· In Kuttan bazar one Dispensary is also destroyed.
· Sheran Girls High school is also completely damaged. One mosque also completely finished due to flood in Sheran.
· One house in Dudgaian was also destroyed in flood and one death is confirmed.
· Electricity & communications infrastructure is destroyed in some areas.
According to NDMA water-swept will pass from Sindh on August 3 to 4 and will pass through Guddu, Sukkur and Kotri Barrages.
The provincial government Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has waived off all provincial taxes, while the Punjab government has lifted agricultural tax and the Balochistan government announced to write off all agri-loans.
After the initial rescue period now the early response has been started in flood hit areas. Army is taking the lead in providing the affectees with cooked food, and temporary shelter in schools in safer areas.
There is a huge need of shelter, clean drinking water, cooked/uncooked food, WASH facilities,m medicine and clothing.
· Islamic relief has started working towards a response for Nowshera district (KPK) and (Sibbi BLN). Initial assessments are done. An ERT has been formed in the Country office and Area offices levels to respond to the emergency. Initially 60 tents have been sent to Nowshera.
· Teams have also started attending the cluster meetings.
· Emergency Response CNs and Proposals are also under construction.
· Funding is available in the UN ERF for WASH, food security and other sectors.
|Work With Us | Privacy Statement | Feedback
Plot 2 , Street 7, Sector G 10/2 , Islamabad Pakistan , Post Code 44000
Copyright © 2009 Islamic Relief (Pakistan)